Shortbread cookie recipe - slightly borrowed

[Source] from April 1 2013 People Magazine
So, while waiting with family in a hospital room with now windows, I was flipping through a People Magazine and found the recipe here (which someone else decided to save as well to provide me with this lovely picture).

With the recent online meltdowns involving certain bakeries that had had some interaction with Mr. Ramsay, it makes the timing even better.

Anyway, since Lala the lavender came to my home, I've been hoping to find a way to make lavender shortbread cookies. It seemed perfectly natural! So, why not adjust this recipe for what I wanted to do.

I didn't monkey too much with the ingredients, but had to make some adjustments.

2 1/2 cups flour (kept the same)
1/4 tsp fine sea salt (kept the same, luckily had some on hand)
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (reduced from original to make room for olive oil)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (not in original at all)
2/3 cup superfine sugar (confectioner's worked for me)
somewhere between 2 and 3 tbsp of chopped fresh lavender and dried rosemary, mostly lavender (original just used 2 tbsp chopped lemon thyme, whatever that is)

I had to look online for suggested oven temp, since this one failed to include anything (really, Gordon?). I used 325'F and preheated.
Sift flower and salt together and set aside (directly from original)
I used a pastry cutter rather than an electric mixer to cream the butter, olive oil, and sugar together until it was even. I dislike using electric mixers, it feels like defeat.
Then it's time to mix in the chopped herbs a little at a time to get it spread well throughout the mix. Then adding in the flour a little at a time until it's all mixed in (eventually switched from the pastry cutter to just mushing together with my hands).
The recipe said to refrigerate the ball of dough in plastic for 20 minutes. That's for wimps, I just rolled on. And by rolled on, I mean I rolled out the dough until it was decently thin (not pie crust thin, though). And in my tiny kitchen, I don't have the nice little cookie cutter, so I used a small glass to cut out cookies that went onto lightly greased pans.
Toss a pan in the oven for about 10-15 minutes (our oven always cooks very quickly, other ovens will probably take longer), spread them out on a large plate to cool, and then in with the next round. Each time the cookies did well when I let them get slightly golden brown around the sides.

These are very lovely little cookies with an herbal flavor that I really like. Despite the vast quantities of butter, they're surprisingly light. Not too sweet, and the salt didn't entirely dissolve, but I like the occasional crunch of sea salt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2nd easy no-wrong-side baby blanket

Moebius plushie

Simple no-wrong side baby blankets