Restoring faith in humanity

This is by far the most distinguished, elegant, and heartwarming response to senseless bigotry and bile from someone who, IMHO, doesn't deserve the popular fame that she has.

When Ann Coulter visited the college where I was studying years back, some fellow peaceniks and I went to see what she would spew about (and it was free, so it's not like she made any additional money because we were there). The vitriol, ignorant hate speech, and "shock" fodder simply made me angry. Friends who had known me for years said they had never seen me so angry - literally shaking to contain my disgust and anger.  When I simply couldn't take it any more - after just one more intolerant and racist remark - I shouted "RACIST" at her before marching out of the auditorium.  I still feel a little more patient than those who had been heckling her with phrases like "must be nice to have daddy's money" or "anorexia rots the brain".

Clearly, Mr. Stephens has taken the high road that I did not. He has demonstrated more patience and understanding than I think Ms. Coulter deserves.  I sincerely hope that his star continues to rise in the public consciousness while Ms. Coulter fades into obscurity. Building a career simply by trying to shock people with your ill-informed, hateful proclamations is a waste of air - it does nothing to improve anyone's existence but your own. Mr. Stephens has invited the whole world and someone who doesn't merit his time, to a positive experience and to open their hearts to new friends.  This man needs to be celebrated, and his positive attitude held up as an example for all of us.

Thank you, sir, for being the best of humanity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2nd easy no-wrong-side baby blanket

Moebius plushie

Simple no-wrong side baby blankets